Guru Gobind Singh is highly regarded by the Sikhs his monumental role in the development of the Sikh faith. He is said to have moulded the Sikh Religion into its present form today with the formation of the Khalsa. Guru Gobind also established the Sikh baptism ceremony, the partaking of amrit.
Guru Gobind Singh Ji infused the spirit of both sainthood and solider in the minds and hearts of his followers to fight oppression in order to restore justice, peace, righteousness (Dharma) and to uplift the down-trodden people in this world. Guru Gobind Singh lost his father, mother, and all four of his sons to a religious war, being waged by the Mughal emperor, Aurangzeb was keen to see Islamization of Hindus an Sikhs.
In his life Guru Gobind Singh fought four battles against Mughal oppression. Two Mughals assassinated the tenth Guru. After being attacked, the Guru handed the authority of leadership to Bhai Banda Singh and asked him to travel to the Punjab and propagate the Sikh faith.
Apart from being a great warrior, Guru Gobind Singh was a learned man. He compiled a number of books and poetry collections in his life. Given here is a short summary of his literary and social works:
- Compilation of the 1428 page Dasam Granth Sahib.
- Author of various important Banis which Sikhs recite daily: Jaap Sahib, Chaupai, etc.
- Wrote autobiography Bichitra Natak
- Built various Gurdwaras - Keshgarh Sahib etc.
- Developed Anandpur Sahib as a Sikh Centre of Excellence.
- Enhanced the structure of Sikh society by introducing various administration systems.
- Extreme personal sacrifice for society: Father martyred for protection of Kashmiri Hindus, all four sons sacrificed to the Mughal and Tribal Forces.
- Sent Zafarnama to Aurangzeb.
|Facts on Guru Gobind Singh's Life|
|Father||Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji|
|Date of Birth||12/22/1666|
|Birth Place||Patna Sahib|
|Wife||Mata Sundari Ji|
|Children||Ajit Singh, Jujhar Singh, Jorawar Singh and Fateh Singh|
|Age, Year and Time at Gur Gadhi||11/11/1675, 33 year|
|Regimes||Aurangzeb, Bahadur Shah|
|Contribution of Banies||Jap Sahib, Akal Ustat, Chopai, War Shri Bhagoti, Vachitar Natak, Chobis Avtar Chandi, Charitar, Shastar Nam Mala (Dasam Granth)|
|Age at the time of disappearance||42|
|Jyoti Jot Place||Nanded|