List of Baisakhi Recipe
Non-Veg RecipesAchari Mutton
800 gms Boneless mutton
½ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Kalonji (onion seeds)
1 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
1 tsp Red chili powder
2 tbsp Ginger
2 tbsp Garlic
½ cup Coriander (chopped)
8 Whole Red Chillies
7 tbsp Mustard Oil
Salt (according to taste)
- Wash and cut the mutton into small pieces
- Chop onions and tomatoes.
- Roast the whole spices separately. Grind them altogether.
- Add the chopped ginger-garlic in a kadahi with heated oil in it. Add coarsely ground masala powder.
- Keep stirring all the time.
- Add mutton to it and cook it on high heat till the time it turns brown.
- Add tomatoes, red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder and mix it well.
- Cook till the time oil leaves the masala.
- Add about 3 cups of water, bring it to a boil and cover.
- Cook it till the time mutton is fully done.
- Put coriander leaves on its top and serve hot.
1 kg Chicken
1 tsp Green chilli paste
1 tsp Garlic paste
1 tsp Ginger paste
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp Garam masala powder
1/2 Cup Yogurt
2 tbsp Lemon juice
Salt (according to taste)
- Wash chicken thoroughly. Prick diagonally it with knife or fork all over.
- Mix red red chilli powder, salt and lemon juice altogether and apply it over the chicken.
- Marinate it for 30-45 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chilli paste to the churned out yogurt. Also add garam masala and mix well.
- Pour this yogurt mixture over the chicken and toss, so that it gets coated well all through, with the paste.
- Again marinate it for 5-6 hours.
- Brush the chicken with little oil. Then put it in a grill and cook for about 20 minutes (almost cooked). Finally smear the chicken with oil and again roast it until fully cooked. Serve hot.
500 gms Mutton
1 Bunch spinach leaves
2 tbsp Tomato puree
3 tbsp Oil
Salt (according to taste)
½ - 1 Garlic
1-1/2 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Coriander powder
1 tsp Khus khus
1/2 tsp Chilli powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
- Boil spinach leaves and grind to make fine paste.
- Fry onion till it turns golden brown.
- Now add garlic and ginger paste and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Put the mutton and add khus khus, chilli powder and salt.
- Cook mutton on low flame till it turns light brown.
- Now add cumin powder, tomato puree, coriander powder and the ground spinach.
- Cover for a while. Keep a check and do not let mutton stick to the vessel.
- Turn off the gas when the mutton is well done.
- Sprinkle some garam masala.
- Serve with plain rice.
Veg RecipesCoconut Laddoo
1 cup suji (semolina)
1 1/2 cups grated fresh coconut
1 tin Milkmaid
1 cup caster sugar
- Roast suji in a round vessel and when it starts turning light brown take it out and keep aside.
- Add atleast one cup grated coconut to the semolina and keep the mixture to cool down.
- Keep rest of the grated coconut to wrap the laddoos.
- Put caster sugar after a while and add ¾ tin milkmaid. Mix well.
- Make small balls of the mixture.
- Roll the balls in the coconut powder.
- Place it in the refrigerator.
- Laddoos are ready to serve.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
1 kg Sarson (mustard greens), chopped finely
1/4 kg Spinach, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic minced
2 cm piece ginger, minced
2 Green Chilies, minced
2 Red Chilies
2 tbsp. Gram Flour, sieved
1 tbsp. Butter
Salt to taste
- Boil both the greens till soft. Remove excess water and mash the leafy vegetables well and reserve.
- Heat 4-tbsp ghee and add ginger, garlic, green chillies and broken red chillies.
- When the masala has been browned, add the mashed saag and salt.
- Mix the gram flour in a little water and add to the saag.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve, topped with a spoon of butter, with makki (maize flour) ki roti.
2 cups Corn Flour or Makki ka atta
- Knead makki (corn) ka atta with warm water just before cooking the rotis.
- While kneading, add some grated radish and salt.
- To roll it, put a square of polythene paper on the kitchen platform.
- On this put a ball of the kneaded dough.
- Cover with another piece of polythene and then press with the ball of your palm till you get the size of a roti. This roti is slightly thicker than the normal roti.
- Remove the polythene cover and transfer the roti to a hot tava (skillet).
- Cook on low heat, turning till both sides are roasted.
- Apply some ghee or butter.
- Serve hot with Sarson ka Saag.
1 cup Chickpeas (chole)
21/2-inch Ginger, 3/4th of it shredded finely for garnish
2tsp. Garlic, finely crushed
2 Onions (chopped)
3 medium sized Tomatoes, chopped
2 Green Chilies, sliced
Finely chopped coriander leaves
2tsp. Ground Coriander
11/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/2tsp. Turmeric powder
1/2tsp. Garam Masala
1/2 - 1tsp. Red chili powder or as per taste
1 Tea Bag or 1 tbsp. black tea leaves tied in cheesecloth
2-3 tbsp. Oil
Salt to taste
- Soak Chole in water overnight or for about 6 hours.
- Cook chole with salt and enough water in the cooker for about 20 minutes or till fully done.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Finely chop the remaining ginger.
- Heat oil and sauté onions till golden. Then add garlic and chopped ginger and green chilies. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and sauté over low heat until the oil separates.
- Add chole, the reserved cooking liquid, salt and half of the coriander leaves.
- Simmer, uncovered until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add a pinch of garam masala and serve chole sprinkled with the remaining garam masala, coriander leaves and shredded ginger.
- Serve it with hot Puri or Bhutara.
Maida - 1000 gm or 1 kg
Milk - ½ glass
Sugar - 2 tbs
Yeast - 1 tsp
Egg - 1 no
Salt to taste
- Add the above ingredients together.
- Add some warm water and mix it into thick dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet cotton cloth and keep it aside for six hours.
- One or two mixing in between will make the dough extra soft. Now the dough is ready.
- Make small balls with the dough and roll it into thick rounds.
- Then deep-fry it in oil.
Easy method: To make the dough ready in half an hour, mix the flour with soda (bottled soda), a little sugar and salt.
Meat (lamb or chicken) - 1 kg
Biriyani Rice - 2 kg
Onions - 6 no's
Tomatoes - 5 no's
Chopped - Onion, coriander leaves, mint leaves, tomatoes and chilies
Grind - Garlic and ginger; Powder- Cardamom, cinnamon and cloves
Coriander leaves and mint leaves - 50 gms each
Green chilies - 8 no's
Garlic, ginger pieces - ¼ cup each
Ghee or dalda - 300 gms
Milk of 1½ coconuts (2 glasses) (Optional)
Cardamom - 12 no's
Cinnamon - 1 ½ tbs
Cloves - 1 tbs
Salt - 2 tbs
Water - 14 glasses
(Water quantity should be always double the amount of rice, including coconut milk and the water added for cooking the meat)
- Soak the biriyani rice in water for half an hour. Drain the water.
- Take a vessel, heat little ghee or dalda and heat the rice in a low flame for 10 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Sauté the onion, green chilies and tomatoes in a big vessel in dalda or ghee for some time.
- Then add the ground garlic and ginger and half the quantity of the masala powder.
- Add the chicken pieces, salt and cook for 15 minutes (if it is lamb meat cooking time will be 25 minutes).
- To it add rice, coconut milk, water, remaining masala powder, coriander and mint leaves, and close the lid.
- Keep it on a gentle fire till cooked dry.
- While serving decorate with fried onion, roasted cashew nuts and egg.
Dry Fruit Kheer
1 litre Milk
3/4 cup Sugar
15 strands saffron crushed, soaked in 1 tsp. hot milk
1/4 tsp. Cardamom Powder
10-12 no. Almonds slivered
10-12 no. Pistachios, slivered
5-6 no. Dried Peaches (quartered)
5-6 no. dried Apricots, nut removed, broken to bits
10-12 no. Raisins
10-12 no. Currants
- Soak raisins, currant, peaches, apricots, in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Boil milk with cardamom, saffron and sugar for 10 minutes.
- Drain the previously soaked dry fruit, add to the boiling milk, and stir gently.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add almonds, pistachios, and take off from fire.
- Serve hot.
1 cup Sesame
2 tbsp Ghee
1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Roast sesame on low flame stirring continuously to avoid it from spluttering out of the pan.
- Boil jaggery in 1/2 cup water to form thick syrup.
- When done, check its consistency by putting a drop of the syrup in a dish of cold water. If the drop stays firm the consistency is right.
- Add the roasted sesame to the syrup. On a rolling board, spread a film of oil and spread the sesame-jaggery mixture.
- Flatten it to 1-cm thickness. When the mixture is sufficiently cooled, cut into square pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Wheat Flour Laddu
Wheat flour - 1cup
Besan - ½ cup
Sugar - ½ cup
Sieves and powdered sugar - ½ cup
Melted ghee or dalda - ½ tsp
Chopped cashew nuts - 3 dsp
Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
Melted Ghee - ½ cup
- Heat a pan and add the melted ghee or dalda.
- Sauté wheat flour and besan together. (Do not allow the colour of the flour to change).
- When it is done, remove from fire and allow cooling.
- Add powdered sugar and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Melt ½ cup sugar in a pan. Add ¼ cup ghee in it. Pour the content immediately on a greased flat vessel or bowl.
- This syrup will become hard when cooled.
- Grind it coarsely and add this to the prepared flour mixture.
- Fry the cashew nuts and mix in the remaining ¼ cup ghee.
- Add this to the flour mixture and mix well.
- Make small balls before it cools.
Grated Carrot - 8 cups
Milk - 6 cups
Sugar - 2 cups
Ghee - 4 tbs
Almonds or cashew nuts - few
Saffron or cardamom powder for flavoring
- Sauté the grated carrots in ghee.
- Add milk and cook till very soft.
- Add sugar, simmer for a while, till sugar dissolves and the mixture thicken.
- Add saffron or cardamom powder.
- Garnish with flaked almonds or cashew nuts.
- Serve hot or cold as desired.
- Soak two cups of Basmati Rice in water. In a sauce pan heat two table spoons of Ghee with 1 teaspoon of saunf (fennel seeds) Add 1/2 a teaspoon of yellow food color,two green cardamoms, 3 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar. Let it come to a boil, then add the soaked, drained rice to it. Cover the pan and wait till it boils.
- In a separate small sauce pan, heat 2 teaspoons of ghee and saute a cup of mixed nuts and raisins(cashews, almonds, pistachios, golden raisins and dry cranberries), until they turn pink and let out aroma.
- When rice come to a boil lower the heat and let it cook to soft. Add the nuts and raisins 5 minutes before you think rice will be cooked completely. Serve hot when done.